A pictorial week-in- review posted every Sunday morning.
1) Flames scorch a hillside at the Holy Fire in Lake Elsinore, California, southeast of Los Angeles, on August 9, 2018. Photo: Robyn Beck / AFP / Getty
2) An air tanker drops retardant on the Ranch Fire, part of the Mendocino Complex Fire, burning along High Valley Road near Clearlake Oaks, California, on August 5, 2018.Photo: Noah Berger / AFP / Getty
3) A 10-month-old girl is helped by volunteer doctors at an emergency hospital after last Sunday’s 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia. Photograph: Adi Weda/EPA
4) In Caracas, an uniformed official bleeds from the head following an incident during a speech by Venezuela’s president Nicolás Maduro. Maduro survived an apparent assassination attempt after what officials described as drones armed with explosives detonated overhead during a speech he was making at a military event. Photograph: Xinhua/AP
5) Onlookers gather at the spot where two cars fell into a sinkhole in Heilongjiang province in China. Photograph: CSN/Reuters
6) A Cambodian worker sleeps during their lunch break at a construction site near Otres Beach in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, on August 3, 2018. Photo: Paula Bronstein / Getty
7) Pope Francis arrives for his weekly general audience at the Vatican. Photograph: Gregorio Borgia/AP
8) A new study has revealed endangered whale sharks inhabit smaller geographical scales than previously documented, which suggests they may be at increased risk of local extinction if good conservation management is not in place. This study used stable isotope analysis, a biochemical technique, to demonstrate that whale sharks feeding at three disparate sites in the Western Indian Ocean (Mozambique and Tanzania) and the Arabian Gulf (Qatar) rarely swim more than a few hundred kilometres north or south from these areas. Photograph: Clare Prebble/Marine Megafauna Foundation and University of Southampton
9) A visitor tries her hand at the controls of a Mercury capsule at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville,Alabama, where the tourism industry is rooted in the space program. Photograph: Vasha Hunt/AP
10) “Steel Beach.” Sailors dive into the Pacific Ocean, somewhere near Hawaii, on August 2 during a swim call aboard the Los Angeles–class submarine USS Olympia, after the week-long RIMPAC naval-warfare exercise had just ended. Photo: FTCS (SS) Bob Nguyen / U.S. Navy
11) Carpets are laid out in fields under the sizzling sun to soften their colors, in Dösemealti, a town in the Mediterranean province of Antalya, Turkey, on August 10, 2018. Photo: Umit Bektas / Reuters
12)Women take a selfie next to refrigerated shelves in a local shop that has invited customers for a sleepover to cool off during the heatwave in Helsinki, Finland. Photograph: Heikki Saukkomaa/AFP/Getty Images
13) Leave it to Vegas to erect a 200,000-gallon aquarium with sharks, surrounded by a three-story pool at the Golden Nugget. Adrenaline seeker? Climb up 30 feet and zoom through the shark-tank slide. Prefer your thrills in liquid form? Head to the H20 Bar, then grab an in-pool lounger beside the waterfalls for a prime view of the aquatic action. (Day pass from $25, rooms from $49). Photo: Caters News/ZUMAPRESS.com
14) Children lie on a glass floor at the bottom of a new cantilevered staircase called the Oculus Stairs at the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington, on August 3, 2018. The recently completed $100 million renovation of the 605-foot-tall structure included replacing some floors and walls with structural glass that opened up views of the three legs below. It also includes “The Loupe,” considered the world’s first and only revolving glass floor. Photo: Elaine Thompson / AP
August 11, 2013
Our daughter Kyla, then 4 years old, very early in her Irish dancing career.
Saturday, August 11, 2018. Day 1 of two days of Feis competition at UW-Milwaukee.
Kyla with proud Daddy
Kyla with her dancing bestie Eirrin on the left. Eirinn. Just a bit Irish, right.
OK. How’d they do? Checking out the scores.
You tell me.
Kyla placed in all four of her dances AND moved up to Novice… Her BFF moved to Novice as well! So proud of these young ladies!!!
Celebrate good times, C’MON!