Milwaukee School of Languages teacher Marielle Rivera greets her 8th grade virtual Spanish class on the first day of school last fall as principal Juan Baez (L) and MPS Superintendent Keith Posley watch. Photo: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Most Milwaukee Public Schools students would continue virtual learning until at least April, while some students with disabilities could return in person Feb. 8 under a tentative plan from Superintendent Keith Posley.
Today’s read is from Mario Koran, a Knight-Wallace Reporting Fellow at the University of Michigan, writing for the UK-based Guardian. Here’s a brief excerpt:
School closures have been disruptive for students across the United States but, for many students of color in Milwaukee’s public school system, the immediate impacts have been downright alarming.
In the long run, educators fear, Covid and a long history of segregation and discrimination have formed a toxic cocktail that could reverberate for decades to come.
“It’s not only a question of how we get these kids back to where they would have been had the pandemic not occurred, but how do we get them back to where they should be?” said Dan Rossmiller of the Wisconsin Association of School Boards.
“And that, of course, was the pre-existing problem.”
Rushing to beat today’s deadline to come up with $90 million to keep construction of a new Milwaukee Brewers stadium on track, the team Thursday announced Miller Brewing Co. had committed $41.2 million for the right to name the stadium Miller Park.
Miller and the Brewers said the deal was the single largest naming rights pact ever reached by a major league baseball team and would help the struggling team remain in Milwaukee.
“Today is a watershed day in the history of the Milwaukee Brewers,” Brewers President Bud Selig said in a statement. “Miller has stepped up to the plate in an historic way to ensure that the new ballpark is one of the finest in the world.”
The team last month was unable to secure collateral for a $50 million state loan that was also part of the legislative package. The stadium board appointed to oversee collection of the one-tenth of a percent sales tax hike then set a March 22 deadline for securing a financial package.
Miller intends to give the team $1.2 million this year, then pay $2 million a year for 20 years beginning in 1999 for naming rights and exclusive signage inside and outside the ballpark, said Patricia McKeithan, Miller vice president of corporate affairs.
Selig, the acting commissioner of baseball, has been careful not to publicly threaten to leave Milwaukee. But he has repeatedly said the team cannot survive here without the new stadium.
Given the uncertainty of the complex negotiations going on at the time there’s no telling what the future of the franchise would have been had Miller not stepped up to the plate.
I was with the WTMJ Radio New department then and we won awards for our ongoing coverage of the stadium debate.
Part of my team was the well-known Mark Siegrist who had spent many solid years at WISN-TV Channel 12. Mark was extremely dependable and likeable. The day before the Miller Park naming rights were announced Mark had found about it from a very, very, reliable source. But he was sworn to secrecy, and he kept his promise. Boy did he keep his promise. he told no one. Not even me or other members of the news department. I wasn’t thrilled and Mark, to this day a very good friend, wasn’t thrilled that I wasn’t thrilled. The department had a closed door discussion and the issue did work out. We had our story and were prepared. In today’s world where journalistic standards have been all but lost someone with the scoop Mark had would find a way to break the confidence and get the story on the air ASAP. Mark kept his word and did not sacrifice his principles. I’ll never forget that.
According to research conducted by the National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School, the Miller Brewing Company purchased the naming rights to Miller Park for $41.2 million over twenty years. The deal had an average annual payout of $2.1 million and expired in 2020. American Family Insurance acquired the naming rights when the agreement with Miller Brewing Company ended in 2020. The 15-year agreement will begin in the 2021 season. The stadium will now be named American Family Field.
Fellow Franklinite Shaun Marefka took these photos today as signage was changed at the ballpark.
On Tuesday the state Senate voted 18-13 to eliminate Tony Evers’ mandates regarding emergency health and masks. The joint resolution approved was co-authored by my state Senator, Julian Bradley (R-Franklin). The measure is certain to pass in the state Assembly on Thursday.
“It is not OK or normal or inevitable or necessary to indefinitely suspend the lawmaking process,” Sen. Duey Stroebel, R-Cedarburg, said Tuesday. “There is no such thing as a perpetual emergency.”
Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said “I don’t think the Constitution envisioned a single person being able to make rules forever by himself. I don’t think it’s the job for the governor, or the government in general, to mandate this forever.”
Resolution author Sen. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said Evers “has repeatedly abused the powers granted to him.”
State Senator Van Wanggaard (R-Racine) said “From the start, Governor Evers has used his declarations of ’emergency’ to act unilaterally, rather than attempt a bipartisan solution to help Wisconsinites through the pandemic. And we’ve seen the result of this unilateral approach. From the unemployment fiasco, to being last in the Midwest in vaccine distribution, allowing Evers to act unilaterally has been a disaster. I hope that the repeal of the State of Emergency will force Evers to work with the Legislature to finally help Wisconsin families.”
Some conservatives are scoffing at this effort by the Legislature to finally take action to rein in our out of control governor, action demanded by Wisconsinites for many months. He’ll just issue another mandate they claim.
That’s possible. If not, local officials can maintain their own mask mandates. With so many of them run by Democrats it seems mask requirements may not be going away, depending on where you live.
Of course the commission went bye-bye almost immediately after Joe Biden took office.
Today’s read is from Parissa Sedghi Fornwalt, a vice president at FreedomWorks, the nation’s largest community of grassroots activists promoting free markets and personal liberty. She writes:
By dissolving the 1776 Commission, Biden has made it clear that he counts himself an ally of those who wish to destroy traditional civic education in America. With him in office, they only will increase their power and influence.
That’s why it’s more important now than ever that our nation’s students receive a strong, nuanced civics education that instills within them a love of country and an appreciation for the American founding and Constitution.
As I told the young woman from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on the phone when I cancelled my print subscription a few weeks ago I just couldn’t stand it anymore (She asked why, I answered).
For me the final straw was the paper’s brutal editorial, placed on the news pages, attacking US Senator Ron Johnson. They allowed Johnson a rebuttal, but then inexplicably responded with another editorial, with footnotes. I’ve never seen them do that before.
The bias and downright hatred is so blatant with nary an attempt to hide it. Anyone with an (R) after their name is public enemy #1 in this newsletter for the Democratic Party.
I still receive the online version thanks to a $1 for three months deal. But that’s horrendous as well with the exception being the sports section.
Now the paper is attempting to make up. Twice since I cancelled I’ve received e-mails offering discounts that say “We miss you and want you back.” That’s a far different approach then what the industry tried with consumers years ago. From my blog…
Newspapers are hurting, but won’t admit it By Kevin Fischer October 2, 2007
Fewer people are reading newspapers. Circulation is down for newspapers all across the country. Newspapers are still an important part of our daily fabric, but are certainly less relevant.
Today, the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel announced it is looking for ways to reduce staff. One way is by “offering employee buyouts in the hope of reducing its workforce by 35 to 50 people.”
If that doesn’t work?
“The company said if not enough employees take the offer, an involuntary program will be considered.”
Having received a few pink slips, some from the Journal Company, I think that’s newspaper-ese for, “We’ll fire you.”
More from jsonline.com:
“Elizabeth (Betsy) Brenner, president and chief operating officer of the publishing group of Journal Communications (JRN) Inc., said the employee reductions are necessary because of falling revenue. In recent years, the Journal Sentinel and other newspapers have been losing revenue to Internet-based advertising. She said gains in online advertising at the newspaper aren’t strong enough yet to replace traditional advertising revenue.
“It is never easy to call for staff cutbacks, but we must continue to align our cost structure with the realities of reduced revenues in the newspaper industry,” Brenner said in a statement to employees.
Effective immediately, full-time employees of Journal Sentinel Inc. with 10 years of service or more as of Oct. 26 are eligible to apply. The company said it is anticipates that between 35 and 50 employees, or 3.5% to 5% of the Journal Sentinel’s full-time staff, will accept the buyout offer. That number may change depending on the number of employees who apply and are accepted. The separation date is on or about Nov. 15.The buyouts will include cash severance and temporary health care coverage.
A memo on the voluntary separation program distributed to newsroom employees said participants will receive two weeks of pay for every full year of service and two months of paid medical care benefits, not including dental and vision.
Non-newsroom employees would receive 1 1/2 weeks of current base salary for every year of service and six months of paid health benefits, also not including dental and vision.”
Newspapers are getting beat up in the competition for news consumers, so the workers suffer. This is a trend that didn’t just materialize overnight. Long before the explosion of cable and talk radio, newspapers were losing the news audience to TV viewers.
There are so many choices for people to get information, including the blog site you’re reading right now. Newspapers have adapted, but they’re not the only game in town, and by their nature, are not the first and the fastest game, either.
This is how much the times have changed. The newspaper biz is now trying a Pulitzer Prize effort at putting a positive spin…on declining readership! The New York Times just published an article on why large newspapers are happy about lower circulations. Huhhh?? (Ironically, the same article required a major correction for an error. You’ll see later in this blog).
The New York Times writes:
“As the newspaper industry bemoans falling circulation, major papers around the country have a surprising attitude toward a lot of potential readers: Don’t bother.
The big American newspapers sell about 10 percent fewer copies than they did in 2000, and while the migration of readers to the Web is usually blamed for that decline, much of it has been intentional. Driven by marketing and delivery costs and pressure from advertisers, many papers have decided certain readers are not worth the expense involved in finding, serving and keeping them.”
Oh my goodness.
What a ludicrous, rip-roaring laughable argument.
What industry tells its customers that it’s okay, we don’t need you. You don’t want what we’re selling? No big deal.
Earth to the newspaper industry: The public soured on what you were selling years and years and years ago. And you know why? While you were in your ivory towers dictating what you thought was news and what you thought everyone should be thinking, the news-consuming public decided they wanted something else, and more.
Your liberal editorial rants suddenly were being met by people who thought, no, there’s another view. I don’t have to accept this.
And quite frankly, newspaper readers got fed up. Their attitude exists today. Are there people who get the Journal/Sentinel just to read the outstanding sports section? You better believe it.
Keep writing those lefty editorials.
Keep shoving the race-baiting columns down our throat.
See how many extra subscriptions that gets you.
Here’s the New York Times articlewhere newspapers try to make excuses for their significant drop in readership.
There are ways to address increased competition. Newspapers have tried, but have failed, in large part because they refuse to admit their failures.
While they sit at their keyboards and egotistically tell themselves, “Oh, this is great stuff,” their target audience is tuning into Fox, or talk radio, or blogs like this one.
Go ahead, newspaper big shots. Insult me again. Tell me why it’s no great loss if I don’t read your paper.
—October 2, 2007
TODAY: “We miss you and want you back.” I’m not sure that will even work.
WI Governor Tony Evers recently extended the statewide mask mandate to March 20, continuing to require masks to be worn by everyone 5 and older indoors and in the presence of others who aren’t part of their household, with some exceptions. The mandate was first issued July 30, and has been reissued three times since.
Sens. Julian Bradley, R-Franklin, and Steve Nass, a Whitewater Republican who has long called for the striking down of Evers’ health orders, have co-authored a joint resolution that could be taken up this week at the state Capitol would terminate the public health emergency declaration and subsequent mask order, a step that the language says would “protect the integrity of the legislative powers authorized under the Wisconsin Constitution.”
Today’s read is from Scott Morefield, a reporter for The Daily Caller and a weekly columnist at Townhall. Here’s the obligatory tease:
Our overlords could have approached us with mask-wearing as a voluntary action that *could* be useful in certain, limited situations. They could have displayed an ounce or two of humility in the face of a novel virus absolutely nobody has been 100% correct on predicting. They might have humbly realized that covering one’s face in all instances when most instances don’t make any sense at all is hardly a sustainable approach. Instead, our mask-worshipping overlords have proceeded to sink every ounce of their credibility by taking positions anyone with an IQ above 70 and the willingness to look past the propaganda can see are utterly ridiculous. Here are just a few.
Culinary no-no began on Father’s Day 2007, a beautiful summer day, when I wrote about grilling brats. And eating brats. And topping those brats. I was inspired by my wife, Jennifer who, in my admittedly unscientific opinion, ruins brats by squirting ketchup on them. Other dining taboos quickly came to mind. The original idea was to take this concept only a few months, till the end of summer and then pull the plug. Then the unexpected happened. People started reading Culinary no-no. Lots of folks. So we keep doing the no-no.
No ands, ifs, or buts. When it comes to the above I must have it.
Don’t have that?
Whatever the bottle it’s imperative I have a lot. Forget that drop or two mentioned in the commercial. That’s for wimps.
And I will continue to eat hot sauce because it does good things for my body. That’s right. Hot sauce is cool. Yes, cool. Because it’s healthy.
It may reduce your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
It helps maintain your weight.
It’s filled with antioxidants and vitamins.
It may help ward off some cancers and help you live longer.
It can clear up a cold.
It reduces inflammation and improves digestion.
Regular readers know that it can take many a paragraph before we ultimately reach the designated no-no.
"Past the teeth and over the gums: look out, stomach, here it comes."
Seems there’s a somewhat new food concoction that’s catching on that this not-at-all picky eater finds yucky. It’s called Slice of Sauce that its Facebook page claims it “transforms traditional bottled condiments into individual, mess-free slices packed with flavor and better-for-you ingredients.”
Did you catch that? Condiments are formed into slices. And they’re mess-free. No more soggy buns.
Slice of Sauce emerged in 2020. Last week it got huge media coverage and a marketing shot in the arm when former Yankee superstar Alex Rodriguez bought into this zany idea big time with a $200,000 investment.
And there’s more. They’re not only slicing off ketchup. Slice of Sauce is now accepting online preorders for two spicy new slices: Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne and Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot Sauce. Both products are official collaborations made with the actual sauce brands and are being sold in eight-slice packs for $5.99.
The slices have no artificial ingredients and are made from leftovers from a company founder’s family BBQ recipe that called for discarding vegetables used to make the sauce. The veggies are mixed and dried, and you have Slice of Sauce.
This might not be the best analogy, but honest to God it was the first image that automatically came to my mind.
On Thanksgiving Day: Would you like some slices of gravy for your turkey?
And I dunk my fries, how?
Read the above intro. Ketchup on a brat started this weekly feature umpteen years ago. But if I had to choose a topping for my brat I’d take Heinz or any other ketchup every time before I’d settle for sliced sauce.