Dear FP Parents / Guardians,
We are making you aware that a student at Forest Park Middle School has tested positive for COVID-19. We took immediate action and followed our protocols and procedures to immediately remove other close contact individuals from school. For all situations like this, we work with the Franklin Health Department to quickly identify, notify, and quarantine or exclude any students or staff who may have come into close contact with the individual and who may be at risk of getting sick.
If your child has been impacted, you have already been notified by the District.
Since this is the first case in our building, we are letting all families know how we responded to this situation. Please know, as we progress we will continue to follow our same protocols if/when cases are confirmed. However, we will not send an all family message like this each time. As always, we encourage you to reach out to a building administrator if you have questions.
In the future, if your child would be identified as a close contact to that individual, you would be contacted by a local health department. Please assist them as they work in partnership with us to investigate and control COVID-19 in our school and community. If you do not receive any further communication, you have not been identified as a close contact and may continue to follow the same healthy behaviors and self-monitoring practices that you already have been. With regard to this event, all district safety measures were in place, and we are completing all cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
COVID-19 is an illness that spreads from person to person through droplets created when we cough, sneeze, talk, sing, or laugh. Most people, especially children, who get COVID-19 have a mild illness, similar to having a cold or the flu. However, in others, it can cause severe illness including pneumonia. Additionally, we are asking that you monitor your child for signs of illness, including checking their temperature twice daily at home if you have the means to do so. If you begin experiencing any of the symptoms outlined below, please contact your medical provider for further guidance and notify one of our District Nurses, Molly Kaul or Lori O’Neil.
Symptoms of COVID include:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Cough, sore throat, congestion, or runny nose
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New lost of taste or smell
- Chills or periods of increased sweating (not attributed to exercise/training)
- Body aches or muscle pain (not attributed to exercise/training)
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
As a reminder, it is imperative that your child stays home if they are exhibiting any of the above symptoms or any of the following situations occur:
- COVID-19 test pending for your child
- Someone in your household is showing signs of illness
- Notification that your child has been in close contact with someone with COVID-19
Preventing Further SpreadThere are a few essential behaviors that you and your child can continue to practice to minimize your risk of contracting COVID-19:
- Stay at least 6 feet away from other people outside of your immediate household.
- Wear a facial covering or mask.
- Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Thank you for your partnership and diligence in maintaining the health and safety of our school and community.
Erin KingForest Park Middle School(414) 525-7501
Molly Kaul MS, RN, PCNS-BC (FPMS & FHS)District Nurse 414-525-7622
Lori O’Neil BSN, RN (Elem & Rec Dept)District Nurse414-525-7624